During excursions in Upper Formazza Valley of some members, attending more and more beautiful surroundings, Val Toggia – made up of a plateau occupied by the artificial lake of Toggia dam, which on the one hand gently leads to the San Giacomo Pass to go down in the valley Bedretto (CH) and on the other, passing by lake Castel and small lakes of Boden, you will reach the entrance that leads to Val Maggia (CH).
Thus it was born the idea to enhance this area with the construction of a shelter. The intention of the President of the section, Piero Monaco, was to remind his wife Maria Luisa Milani with a significant work, so they began building.
In 1936 they carried out the first inspections and the new hut designs, which incorporated the structures used for the direction of the dam work. Already 5 December 1937 the hut Maria Luisa can be opened and begin its operation, even if not complete.
The following summer begin the most important works: the construction of the central part of the hut with a building of two floors. Built with stone walls and partition walls in wood, in typical Formazza’s style; the works end in the summer of 1939. The December 8, 1939 the hut Maria Luisa comes into full operation.
Over the years the hut is always subjected to new renovations and improvements, in order to satisfy the regulations and try to meet the expectations of visitors.